Sunday, January 18, 2009

Reflection on ALB - Saihah Raffei

Army Logistics Base. Having been there once, I feel like going there again someday. For the first time in my life, I saw the Vertical Carousel system which left a deep impression on me. I asked myself "Why do such fascinating technology ever exist?". To save space and minimise movement, that's why. It is automatic and brings the specific items to the picker when the picker scan a barcode. There is 74 layers in the conveyor. Vertical carousel is used for items that need humidity control to prevent deterioration. It is also used to store only small items such as medical supplies.

That is only one example of a storage system used by ALB. Other systems that were used in the warehouse are Pallet ASRS,Mobile Racking System, VNA and Bin ASRS. The bin ASRS (29000 bins) is 9m in height and 13m in length. There are 5 cranes used to carry the bins up the rack. Eaach crane can carry 16 bins. In total, the cranes can carry 300bins in one day.I saw the powered mobile racking system at the first level of the ALB.

The ALB is 30m in height on each level. There are 14 loading bays to despatch the items. The delivery load size per day that ALB has to handle is 200m(cube). The type of warehousing floor layout used is Throughflow.

No comments:

Post a Comment